Instructor: Chris Peterson
PAINTING THE URBAN LANDSCAPE
November 9–11, 2018 (Friday–Sunday, 9:30am–4:30pm)
F18FA513 • All levels
This class is no longer available for registration. For more information, please call the Mendocino Art Center Registrar:
707 937-5818, ext. 10 or toll-free 800 653-3328, ext. 10
This course is designed to develop a student’s sense and expression of the urban environment. We will start with a presentation of great urban landscape paintings and there will be painting demonstrations. Photographic reference will be used and we will paint outdoors. Projects will range in size and ambition. Students will have access to help with drawing and design issues. Basic and advanced painting techniques will be covered, such as how to arrange your color on the palette, what materials and brushes to use, and what to do when you make a mistake. You will discover what “thick over thin, fat over lean” means. Students will be encouraged to develop their own style and unique point of view. Prizes will be awarded for best painting, most learned, largest painting, most paintings.
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR
CHRISTOPHER PETERSON was born in New York City May 26, 1957, and grew up in Westport, Connecticut. He went to art school in Boston, and then at Art Center College of Design in Pasadena. He began his career as an Illustrator in New York City in 1980, and immediately started working for The New York Times and Time magazine. Since moving to the Bay Area in 1984, he has been a steady fixture in the landscape of art and design, working in newspapers, advertising, exhibit design, teaching, and as a painter and illustrator.
Using the traditional skills of drawing and painting, he observes and expresses not only the physical thing, but also the emotion in any given subject. Technically, any subject can be a beautiful opportunity to use paint, color and value to express the multitude of effects that light, refection, shadow and cast shadow have on a subject. His artistic inspiration comes from a tradition of American painting beginning with artists like N.C. and Andrew Wyeth, Charles Sheeler, Edward Hopper, John Singer Sargeant and Winslow Homer. His more contemporary influences are from artists such as Wayne Thiebaud, Chuck Close, Robert Cunningham, John Register and Richard Estes, as well as illustrators Norman Rockwell, Milton Glaser, and James McMullan. He feels that it is important to be very discerning when choosing one’s artistic influences and prefers the traditional American realist painters.
He has created more than 100 rock posters for the likes of Paul McCartney, James Taylor, Willie Nelson, Paul Simon, Eagles, John Lee Hooker, Buddy Guy, Joan Baez, Susan Tedeschi, BB King and Bob Dylan, just to name a few.
Visit Chris Peterson's website
• Member, Society of Illustrators, New York
• President Emeritus, San Francisco Society of Illustrators- member since 1995 • Member, US Air Force Art program
• Oakland Museum Collectors’ Gallery
• SHOH, Berkeley
• SF MOMA collectors gallery
• Art Concepts Gallery, Walnut Creek, CA.
• Epperson gallery, Crockett, CA
• Start SOMA gallery, San Francisco • Dimitroff gallery, Mill Valley, CA
• Bronze medal, San Francisco Society of Illustrators 1994
• Bronze medal, San Francisco Society of Illustrators 1995
• Gold, Silver & Bronze medal, San Francisco Society of Illustrators 1996 • Honorable mention, Los Angeles Society of Illustrators, 1998
• Gold medal, San Francisco Society of Illustrators 1999
• Honorable mention, New York Society of Illustrators, 1999
• Gold, Bronze medal, San Francisco Society of Illustrators 2000
• Gold medal, San Francisco Society of Illustrators 2001
• Illustrators Bedford Gallery, Walnut Creek
• San Francisco Society of Illustrators annual show 1995, 96, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02
• East Bay open studios 1997, 98, 99, 00, 01
• New York Society of Illustrators 42nd annual exhibition, 1999
• One-man show- Crème de La Crème, Oakland
• One-man show- California Café, Walnut Creek, CA.
• One-man show- Gordon’s house of Fine eats (2002)
• One-man show- Metropolitan Transportation Commission, Oakland (2002)
• One-man show- Addison Street windows, Berkeley (2003)
• One-man show- Dimitroff Gallery, Mill Valley, CA (2004)
• One-man show- Nielsen Arts, Berkeley (2016)
• One-man show- SHOH, Berkeley (2017)
• One-man show- Creative Framing and Gallery, Oakland (2018)
Pepsi • Heineken • Duracell • Time Magazine • The New York Times • The San Francisco Chronicle • Mix Magazine • Readers Digest • Golf Digest • Nickelodeon • Consumer Reports • McGraw-Hill • Macy’s • Courvoisier • Citigate Albert Frank • Watson-Guptil • Warner Brothers • Joe Boxer • Bozell • Citron Haligman Bedecarre • Mindscape • Goodby Silverstein & Partners • Info World • Travers Collins Partners • Krichoff/Wohlberg, Inc. • The Bark! Magazine • Brand Fusion • Foote, Cone Belding • Deutsch Advertising • Bill Graham Presents • KNBR & KFOG Radio • Sutter Home Wines • Phish • The String Cheese Incident • High Sierra Music Festival • Bannaroo Music festival • The Floating Company • Stufish • Legendary Rhythm and Blues Cruise • Monterey Bay Aquarium • Ford • Schwab
TUITION & FEES
Current MAC Members: $310
Non-members: $345 plus a $45 non-member registration fee
There is a registration fee of $45 for each class for non-members. Current Mendocino Art Center members do not pay a registration fee and may take 10% off each class registration. The discount is reflected in the prices above. Not a member yet? You may sign up below.
View our membership benefits
REFUNDS & CANCELLATIONS
Cancellations must be made in writing, either by mail or email. If you notify us at least 21 days prior to the first class meeting, you will receive a refund of tuition less a $45 cancellation fee. No refunds will be made after that date for any reason due to our contractual obligations and material acquisitions. If the Art Center is compelled to cancel a class you will receive a full tuition refund. Memberships are non-refundable as they are considered a donation to the Art Center.
Not a current Mendocino Art Center? Become a member and save on each class registration.
By clicking on the "Add to Cart" button you will be transferred to PayPal's website to complete your registration. You do not have to have a PayPal account to pay through PayPal – you may pay with any major credit card.