Join us for the 5th Annual
Mendocino Open Paint Out
A Plein Air Festival
on Northern California's
Beautiful Mendocino Coast
September 18–24, 2017
The Mendocino Art Center (MAC) hosts the fifth annual Mendocino Open Paint Out (MOPO), a plein air festival. The Mendocino Coast, located along a beautiful expanse of the Pacific Ocean in northern California, is a spectacular setting for a plein air festival. Artists claim that the quality of light is unlike anywhere else in the world.
From the rugged surrounding landscape, to the bay and beaches, to the quaint Victorian architecture and water towers of the town of Mendocino, you will be sure to find abundant creative inspiration. And you will remember the beauty and tranquility of the Mendocino Coast long after your visit.
Join fellow artists on the picturesque northern California coast for the Mendocino Open Paint Out.
• Compete for more than $8,000 in cash and prizes (see awards below), including advertisements in Plein Air Magazine and Southwest Art.
• Sell your artwork in daily wet paint exhibitions in a professional gallery space
• Stay on the Mendocino Art Center campus, steps from the Pacific Ocean (book early, rooms fill quickly!)
• Meet and mingle with the featured artists at a complimentary pizza party
• Enjoy festive nightly social dinner gatherings at the Mendocino Art Center
• Watch daytime and evening demonstrations hosted by featured artists
• Attend the celebratory reception and awards presentation
• Warm up each day with a complimentary continental breakfast
• And, of course, paint en plein air daily!
All registered artists are welcome to compete for more than $8,000 in cash and merchandise awards in this open competition. Judged by our featured artists, prizes include:
• Best of Show Award
• Overall Consistency Award
• Featured Artwork Award
• 1st, 2nd, 3rd Place and Honorable Mention awards in each medium (oil, pastel and water media)
• Personal awards presented by each featured artist
• Quick Draw Competition People's Choice Award providing free entry to the Mendocino Open Paint Out 2018
The Mendocino Art Center is a very special place, located in a stunning, rural location, overlooking a rugged expanse of the Pacific Ocean, 150 miles north of San Francisco. It has been a haven for artists since 1959, when founders Bill and Jennie Zacha first realized the potential of this unique community as an artists' colony.
Today the Mendocino Art Center is a highly regarded artistic and educational institution known for retreat-style classes led by superlative artist-instructors. More than 150 two- to five-day classes are offered each year in ceramics, fiber arts, fine art, jewelry/metalsmithing and sculpture.
The art galleries feature monthly exhibitions spotlighting the creative works of local and national artists and the Mendocino Art Center continues to be at the heart of what makes the Mendocino Coast an enchanting and vibrant place to visit. Retreat, create, rejuvenate at the Mendocino Art Center.