Join us for the 3rd Annual
Mendocino Open Paint Out
A Plein Air Festival
on Northern California's
Beautiful Mendocino Coast
September 7–12, 2015
|Home||Lodging||Painting Locations||Schedule||About MAC|
Join us on the picturesque northern California coast
#3 on the The New York Times
list of "Places to Go in 2014"
The Mendocino Art Center hosts the third Mendocino Open Paint Out (MOPO), a plein air festival, welcoming more than sixty celebrity and participating artists – in watermedia, oil and pastel – from seven different states.
The public is welcome at all activities:
• Four days of plein air painting – watch celebrity artists paint outdoors.
• Daily wet paint sales – new paintings each day.
• Celebrity artist demonstrations – September 8-11, 2 pm and 7 pm (no demo on Friday, September 11 at 7 pm). Donations requested.
• Community dinners at the Mendocino Art Center. Food and drink available for purchase. September 8-10, 5 pm to 7 pm.
• Quick Draw Competition and Sale, Saturday, September 12. Watch the competition, 11 am to 1 pm (location to be announced) and then vote for YOUR favorite piece at the Quick Draw Sale, 2 pm to 5 pm.
• Celebratory Reception and Awards Presentation, Saturday, September 12, 5 pm to 8 pm. Enjoy wine and appetizers and be there for the announcement of the award winners.
Instructor: Dale Laitinen
Congratulations to our
2014 Mendocino Open Paint Out
2014 Best of Show: Macario Pascual,
"Fog and Sunset," oil on pastel
Best of Show
Macario Pascual, “Fog and Sunset,” oil on panel (Lahaina, HI)
1st Place: Susan Elwart Hall, “Berry Pie Served Here" (Atherton, CA)
2nd Place: Erin Dertner, “Faybell in the Sun” (Fort Bragg, CA)
3rd Place: Jake Gaedtke, “Rocks & Rolls” (Folsom, CA)
Honorable Mention: Linda Barretta, “Sea Whisper" (Healdsburg, CA)
First Place, oil: Susan Elwart Hall, "Berry Pie Served Here"
1st Place: Fran Hurd, “Shimmering Light" (Santa Rosa, CA)
2nd Place: Suzi Marquess Long, “10 Mile Beach" (Mendocino, CA)
3rd Place: Carol Robbins, “Caspar Day" (Alturas, CA)
Honorable Mention: Carolyn Hartling, “Vibrant Vino" (Coarsegold, CA)
First Place, pastel: Fran Hurd, "Shimmering Light"
1st Place: Rolando Barrero, “Noyo Harbor Light" (Vallejo, CA)
2nd Place: Sally Cataldo, “Morning Light" (Santa Rosa, CA)
3rd Place: Dennis Simpson, “Angling for Caspar Cove" (Napa, CA)
Honorable Mention: Leslie Rich, “Coastal Stroll" (Willits, CA)
First Place, watercolor: Rolando Barrero,
"Noyo Harbor Light"
Quick Draw Competition - People's Choice Award
Erin Dertner, oil - entry #19 (Fort Bragg, CA)
The Mendocino Art Center is a very special place, located in a stunning, rural location, overlooking a rugged expanse of the Pacific Ocean, 150 miles north of San Francisco. It has been a haven for artists since 1959, when founders Bill and Jennie Zacha first realized the potential of this unique community as an artists' colony.
Today the Mendocino Art Center is a highly regarded artistic and educational institution known for retreat-style classes led by superlative artist-instructors. More than 150 two- to five-day classes are offered each year in ceramics, fiber arts, fine art, jewelry/metalsmithing and sculpture/ blacksmithing.
The art galleries feature monthly exhibitions spotlighting the creative works of local and national artists and the Mendocino Art Center continues to be at the heart of what makes the Mendocino Coast an enchanting and vibrant place to visit. Retreat, create, rejuvenate at the Mendocino Art Center.