Save the Dates for the 8th Annual
Mendocino Open Paint Out
A Plein Air Festival
on Northern California's
Beautiful Mendocino Coast
September 14–20, 2020
The Mendocino Art Center (MAC) hosts the seventh annual Mendocino Open Paint Out (MOPO), a plein air festival. The Mendocino Coast, located along a beautiful expanse of the Pacific Ocean in northern California, is a spectacular setting for a plein air festival. Artists claim that the quality of light is unlike anywhere else in the world.
The Mendocino Art Center is welcoming 60 oil, pastel and water media artists from throughout California, as well as visiting from Alaska, Connecticut and Utah, who will be competing for more than $9,000 in cash and prizes.
From the rugged surrounding landscape, to the bay and beaches, to the quaint Victorian architecture and water towers in the town of Mendocino, to the nearby vineyards and wineries, artists are sure to find abundant creative inspiration.
All events are free and open to the public (see a full schedule):
• Plein air painting: watch artists paint outdoors all week.
• Daily wet paint sales: new paintings each day in the MAC galleries. More than 400 paintings were created in 2018.
• Featured artists painting exhibition (opens September 6): MOPO co-founder John Hewitt, Karl Dempwolf, Erin Dertner, Patricia Rose Ford, Chuck Kovacic and Dennis Ziemienski.
• Presentation: September 16, 7pm. North Coast Brewing Company’s “Support for Marine Mammal Research and Rescue,” with Joe Seta.
• Featured artist demonstrations: September 17-19, 2pm and 7pm. Donations requested.
• Festive and social evening gatherings at the Mendocino Art Center: Food and drink available for purchase, September 17-19, 5pm to 7pm.
• People's Choice Party: Friday, September 20, 7pm to 9pm. See all paintings created during the week and vote for your favorite painting. Refreshments available.
• Quick Draw Competition and Sale: Saturday, September 21. Watch the competition, 11am to 1pm (location to be announced) and then vote for YOUR favorite piece at the Quick Draw Sale, 2pm to 4pm.
• Celebratory Reception and Awards Presentation: Saturday, September 21, 4pm to 6pm. Enjoy wine and appetizers and be there for the presentation of 30 awards.
• Your last chance to buy your favorite painting! The gallery will be open 10am-5pm.
Monday, September 16: 10am-5pm
Tuesday, September 17: 8am-7pm
Wednesday, September 18: 8am-7pm
Thursday, September 19: 8am-7pm
Friday, September 20: 8am-4pm & 7pm-9pm
Saturday, September 21: 10am-7pm
Sunday, September 22: 10am-5pm
Our featured artists, 2013 through 2018:
John Hewitt (co-founder)
Dale Laitinen | 2013-2015
The Mendocino Art Center is a very special place, located in a stunning, rural location, overlooking a rugged expanse of the Pacific Ocean, 150 miles north of San Francisco. It has been a haven for artists since 1959, when founders Bill and Jennie Zacha first realized the potential of this unique community as an artists' colony.
Today the Mendocino Art Center is a highly regarded artistic and educational institution known for retreat-style classes led by superlative artist-instructors. More than 150 two- to five-day classes are offered each year in ceramics, fiber arts, fine art, jewelry/metalsmithing and sculpture.
The art galleries feature monthly exhibitions spotlighting the creative works of local and national artists and the Mendocino Art Center continues to be at the heart of what makes the Mendocino Coast an enchanting and vibrant place to visit.