Join us for the 4th Annual
Mendocino Open Paint Out
A Plein Air Festival
on Northern California's
Beautiful Mendocino Coast
September 19–25, 2016
Opening Reception: Monday, September 19
|Home||Lodging||Painting Locations||Schedule||About MAC|
On campus housing and discounted lodging list is available
email for more information
The Mendocino Art Center hosts a weeklong plein air festival held in a spectacular setting along the Northern California Coast. Artists claim the light is unlike anywhere else in the world. From the rugged surrounding landscape, to the bay and beaches, to the quaint Victorian architecture and water towers of the town, abundant creative inspiration is sure to be found amid the beauty and tranquility of the Mendocino Coast.
The North Coast of California was #3 on
The New York Times list of "Places to Go in 2014."
The week’s festivities include:
• The opportunity to paint en plein air
• More than $8,000 in cash and merchandise awards (see below)
an increase of more than $3,000 from last year
• Daily wet paint sales of your artwork in the Mendocino Art Center’s professional gallery space
• A Welcome Reception with a complimentary dinner and a meet and greet with the featured artists (September 19)
• Nightly dinner (available for purchase) and social hour at MAC
• Daytime and evening demonstrations hosted by featured artists
• A Quick Draw Competition and Sale (September 24)
• A celebratory evening awards reception (September 24)
• NEW THIS YEAR! A Wine Tasting Event and Viewer’s Choice Award voting and presentation (September 25)
This year's open competition is juried by our featured artists:
John Hewitt, co-founder
Suzi Marquess Long
All registered artists are welcome to compete for more than $8,000 in cash and merchandise awards in this open competition. Judged by our featured artists, prizes include:
In 2015, in addition to eight featured artists, more than 50 participating oil, pastel and water media artists competed for more than $5,000 in cash and prizes. The Mendocino Art Center welcomed artists from throughout California, as well as Alaska, Arizona, New Mexico, Pennsylvania, Tennessee and Texas.
The Mendocino Art Center is a very special place, located in a stunning, rural location, overlooking a rugged expanse of the Pacific Ocean, 150 miles north of San Francisco. It has been a haven for artists since 1959, when founders Bill and Jennie Zacha first realized the potential of this unique community as an artists' colony.
Today the Mendocino Art Center is a highly regarded artistic and educational institution known for retreat-style classes led by superlative artist-instructors. More than 150 two- to five-day classes are offered each year in ceramics, fiber arts, fine art, jewelry/metalsmithing and sculpture/ blacksmithing.
The art galleries feature monthly exhibitions spotlighting the creative works of local and national artists and the Mendocino Art Center continues to be at the heart of what makes the Mendocino Coast an enchanting and vibrant place to visit. Retreat, create, rejuvenate at the Mendocino Art Center.