Join us for the 6th Annual
Mendocino Open Paint Out
A Plein Air Festival
on Northern California's
Beautiful Mendocino Coast
September 17–23, 2018
Our featured artists:
John Hewitt, co-founder | Wendy Brayton
Suzi Marquess Long | Rodolfo Rivademar | Dennis Simpson
The Mendocino Art Center (MAC) hosts the sixth annual Mendocino Open Paint Out (MOPO), a plein air festival. The Mendocino Coast, located along a beautiful expanse of the Pacific Ocean in northern California, is a spectacular setting for a plein air festival. Artists claim that the quality of light is unlike anywhere else in the world.
From the rugged surrounding landscape, to the bay and beaches, to the quaint Victorian architecture and water towers of the town of Mendocino, artists are sure to find abundant creative inspiration. And, you will remember the beauty and tranquility of the Mendocino Coast long after your visit.
Join fellow artists on the picturesque northern California coast for the Mendocino Open Paint Out.
• Compete for more than $8,000 in cash and prizes, including advertisements in Plein Air Magazine and Southwest Art.
• Sell your artwork in daily wet paint exhibitions in a professional gallery space
• Stay on campus, steps from the Pacific Ocean (book early, rooms fill quickly!)
• Meet and mingle with the featured artists at a complimentary pizza party
• Enjoy festive nightly social dinner gatherings at the Mendocino Art Center
• Watch daytime and evening demonstrations hosted by featured artists
• Compete in the Quick Draw Competition & Sale
• Attend the People's Choice Party and the celebratory reception and awards presentation
• Start each day with a complimentary continental breakfast
• And, of course, paint en plein air daily!
Our featured artists, 2013 through 2017:
John Hewitt (co-founder)
Paul Kratter | 2016
The Mendocino Art Center is a very special place, located in a stunning, rural location, overlooking a rugged expanse of the Pacific Ocean, 150 miles north of San Francisco. It has been a haven for artists since 1959, when founders Bill and Jennie Zacha first realized the potential of this unique community as an artists' colony.
Today the Mendocino Art Center is a highly regarded artistic and educational institution known for retreat-style classes led by superlative artist-instructors. More than 150 two- to five-day classes are offered each year in ceramics, fiber arts, fine art, jewelry/metalsmithing and sculpture.
The art galleries feature monthly exhibitions spotlighting the creative works of local and national artists and the Mendocino Art Center continues to be at the heart of what makes the Mendocino Coast an enchanting and vibrant place to visit.